Enrollments for the 2015-16 School Year may be turned in at the school office after August 3, 2015
See the “Forms” tab for enrollment documents
August 17th – Fall Enrollment Day, 8:00am-4:00pm
August 18th – Board of Education meeting, 6:00pm
August 25th-26th – Kindergarten & 1st Grade Pre-Assessment and Orientation days. K/1 students attend for 1/2 day on one of these days. Day & time assignments were mailed out in June with other registration information or will be assigned at the time of registration.
August 27th – First full day of school for Kindergarten & 1st grade students
September 1st – First day of school for Preschool students
September 10th – Back to School Night Open House at CFL. 4:30-6:30pm
To purchase student insurance, please visit http://markel.sevencorners.com/ or call tel:1-877-444-5014.
Our school was featured in the Grand Junction Sentinel and the Glenwood Springs Post Independent. Check out the “News” tab to read the articles!
Kindergarten & 1st grade: 8:20-4:05
AM Preschool: 8:20-11:20
PM Preschool: 1:00-4:00
*All Students attend Tuesday-Friday.
Visit our “Forms” page to find Enrollment paperwork
We are located at 100 East Second Street, in downtown Parachute, Colorado. Our mailing address is PO Box 68, Parachute, CO 81635.
We can be reached by telephone at 970.285.5702 or by fax at 866-864-6754
In 2002, Garfield County School District No. 16 strategically relocated all of the School District’s early childhood and kindergarten classes into the original school building of Parachute. They named the building The Grand Valley Early Childhood Literacy Center. The long term goal of the District was to have one center where all young children could attend high quality early childhood programs and parents would be able to access educational services and support for their child and themselves.
As an extension of this goal, in 2006, Garfield County School District 16 voters approved a school bond for 35 million dollars. A portion of bond funds (11 million dollars) were used to renovate and add onto the 1939 original school building, converting it into the Grand Valley Center for Family Learning. Input for the design of the building was gathered over time by teachers, administrators, and community members to reflect the vision stated below:
Vision: We seek to become an inventive public school with enduring relationships among educators, families, community volunteers, business, health and social service agencies, youth development organizations and others committed to children. This model transforms the traditional school into a partnership for excellence.
The state-of-the-art building accommodates 16 children’s classrooms (6 kindergarten, 6 preschool, 2 toddler and 2 infant). The preschool classrooms have built-in observation booths with one-way mirrors for the purposes of teacher training and observations by parents and professionals. Three outdoor play spaces are designed for the appropriate age group-toddler, preschool and kindergarten. There is a health clinic, adult education classroom and a teen parent room with computer work stations adjacent to the infant room. The building also has a kitchen, multipurpose room and gym.
- To increase the percentage of preschool aged children with needed skills in social/emotional, physical, cognitive, and language development to be ready for kindergarten.
- To increase the percentage of kindergarten students scoring proficient or higher in Reading, Writing and Math
- To increase the families accessing health, early childhood education, parent support and education, family literacy and adult education services by 10% annually as measured by enrollment and participation
- To improve school attendance for students who access CFL services
- To increase the percentage of parents who demonstrate skills which support their children’s learning
- To increase the percentage of parents who improve their education
- To add one new service to the CFL each year from the second to the fourth year as measured by enrollment and participation data
- Meri Nofzinger, Principal 970.285.5702 ext. 2102
- Certified Staff – 10
- Preschool Teachers – 3
- Teacher Assistants – 6
- Secretaries – 2
- Other Classified staff – 5
- Total Enrolled - 1st Grade - 75
- Total Enrolled – Kindergarten – 88
- Total Enrolled – Preschool – 96
Average Class Size:
Kinder/1st – 20
Preschool – 16